Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Template and Hexagon Madness!

I have been keeping a secret from you.
I am a hex fetishist. Read it again please.
I love me some HEXAGONS.
I started a pinboard here. I can add you to the board so I have helpers in the search for beautiful mathematical creations. Let's share the hex love!

I love that Studio Calico hexagon print paper but it's everywhere right now so I decided to save it for a little longer and try my hand at some quilting templates I found online. I really like the "hand made" mistakes galore quality of this page:

Hexagon experiment 1 (This was the December True Xoxo Girls Challenge page but I made another you'll se SOON)
MATERIALS: Lily Bee Memorandum paper, Crafter's Workshop templates- Tile Texture and Chevron mini, Studio Calico Fab Rips and Mister Huey in Atmosphere, Calico Cream and Lemonade, Maya Mist in Green Apple, Gauche Alchemy punchinella, Basic Grey mini alphas, Sassafras Lass woodgrain alphas, Mis Tape from American Crafts, finger die cut from Pink Paislee and Prima wood heart button.
Am I crazy for liking it? Please help me- where did I go wrong? Perhaps I needed a less contrasty photo with colors that blended in a little more?

Yeah- I messed up the journaling.

I like how this page looks but it doesn't hold together. Into the '"first draft" file it goes.
Also.... I MUST give credit where credit is due. The acrylic bubbles, the smudged pencil borders and molding paste are ALL part of someone else's style- Mija- of MadebyMija.blogspot.com. I am trying to find a way to use them and not reference her work so closely. Check out Mija's blog- she is a pure artist- me? I'm just started to find my way there.
I feel like I'm right on the verge of something cool-
 just not quite hitting the mark,
Using Maya Mists was fun. I haven't bought them because they are sooo expensive but a few stores are having early "Black Friday" sales so I finally got to play with "Green Apple". Once again I'm in LOOOOVE! Totally worth the crazy price.

I know this week is hectic so if I don't post again till friday- have a Happy Thanksgiving weekend!!!


SMOOCHES MI GENTE!!

18 comments:

  1. AHA! And here I was just commenting on your recent use of hexagons! I love the way you use them -- genius to use a quilting template! I don't see anything wrong with this LO. It's true the photo is quite a bit brighter than the background, but it does keep it as the focal point. You could experiment with toning down the photo and see if you like it better; but I do like it as it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this page! I am loving the HEXES!!!! Great color and subtle details.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the hex! I just bought the 3/4 and 1" dies. Can't wait to get my hands on those babies!!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loving all the artistic elements on this layout! Awesome! No apologies, right!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous page! I am lovin' the hexagons lately too, in fact I've made several of my own hexagon layouts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE this - everything about it!! I might NEED those hexagon dies too!
    Lowri :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this layout - the design is gorgeous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think your page looks great! I've done a 3 pages with hexies I cut using a quilting template - but I think mine are too regimented - and nowhere near as cool as yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. i like it :-) maybe... just maybe... the blue in the photo is too much with the green and yellow and pale blue of the page, but maybe that is just me :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great page!! I love those patterns - hexies, octies = FUN!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE everything you did here! The misting and random placemement of the cut out hexies is just perfect for that photo, LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! You sure are a HEX goddess! Fantastic layout!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. How sweeeeeet you are!! THANK you so much! our work is just so lovely!

    XOXO, Mija

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your work is incredible! I happen to have fallen a bit in love with the hexies too! I created a Halloween layout a couple weeks ago and used the hexies to house the title. I love yours WAY MORE. The mixed media feel is fabulous. Happy Thanksgiving my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi my dear and sweet friend!!!
    I just love to read your coment in my blog you always is such a nice and sweet friend!!
    I love that page you have a fantastic and extraordinary talent !!! Your work is incredible and stunning and the paper look fantastic !!
    I love your page and one day I will lift one of those !!
    I´m so happy that you understand my poor english..but I dont like the translate at all.
    Thanks for all your visit and lovely words !!
    I wish a wonderful week.
    Kisses and huges
    Cynthia
    I love to participate in all DT call and I don´t care if I´m not win I just love to participate!!!
    Thanks for all your visit and lovely words in my blog !
    I wish a wonderful week.
    Kisses and huges
    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  16. loving hexagons, loving your Lo and most of all loving your design style !

    ReplyDelete
  17. Girl I oh so love your LOs...the are so awesom tfs

    ReplyDelete
  18. oh wow, lovw that color palette and the backround!!! gret job!
    xo Felicitas

    ReplyDelete

Ok peeps lets CHAT! You tell me what you REALLY think and I PROMISE to keep it open minded here.