Monday, December 5, 2011

December Daily- Central Park and FAO Schwartz

So after all my whining in yesterday's post about the crowds over at the Christmas Market in Union Square guess where I'm going to day?
Well you don't have to guess- you saw the title.
Day 1 with journaling.
Materials: Crate Paper peppermint collection journaling square from Paper Issues on Etsy,  Jillibean Soup corrugated flower and summer journaling spot. December pin from Ormolu
I love Christmas- yes, really!
I love the smell of special holiday food cooking.
I love that I get to see my sister Leticia and her hubby Robby Rob.
I love my crazy Aunts coming over from Pennsylvania.
I love that you finally see RED clothes in stores- my fave color- although this year it seems everyone is crazy about BORING silver and beige palettes.
Random unfinished page and Day 3.
Materials: American Crafts paper from Paper Issues, Cosmo Cricket market collection paper, stickers from Cosmo and Crate. Ki Memories snowflake from one of their lace papers.
I bought Lola's holiday outfit yesterday at a local high end thrift shop called The Flying Squirrel. It's great place to find boutique kid items super cheap. I would consider a visit if you are in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, love "brands" and have kiddos. I just really wanted to find something red and made from good fabric- dressing Lola in beige or black for Christmas is so NOT my bag. And WHAT is up with all the awful cheap fabric clothing in stores lately????

I have my photo for today!
Day 5- Christmas outfit found!
Satin Polka Dot Dress for 10 bucks and real cotton sweater 4 dollars, The Flying Squirrel. Leather shoes from TJ Maxx.
Where did the camera hating kid go? I couldn't get her off the floor! It's nice to see her be positive about photos. She looks like a 30's gangster with that lollipop in her mouth. Where she found it is a mystery as I did not give it to her.
Inside cover materials: Basic Grey Luscious paper, Fancy Pants filter paper, Studio Calico and Maya Road mists,
Martha Stewart gifts punch. alphas from Girl's Paperie and Cosmo Cricket
I am packing for today's photo expedition-
Juice boxes? CHECK!
Extra carriage blanket? Check!
Tranquilizer gun for frustrated tourists who try to sit on Lola? CHECK!

There's this really cool elevated doorway on the same street as Flying Squirrel.
No need to crouch to get face level shots! I will be using it again.
Materials: Crate Peppermint Collection paper and stickers from Paper Issues on Etsy, red corrugated alphas from Little Yellow Bicycle, Corrugated flower from Little Yellow Bicycle, glitter paper from American Crafts, Arrow flower punch from EK Success.
We decided to hold off until after the morning rush hour. We believe FAO Schwartz might be passable and their large windows mean lots of wonderful natural light inside the store. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I've noticed that my iTouch takes really fussy blown out high light photos compared to the new iPhone 4- can't be helped as I refuse to buy a 500 dollar phone I will only use as a camera.

The story behind this photo. I spotted this GORGEOUS gold light bouncing off the Empire State Building right before this shot- by the time I got here with Lola in tow it was almost gone. And by the time I reached the empty park table in the photo the sky was dark. Difference in time? 1 minute! Great photography is half technical prowess, half waiting for the right light moment.
Where there's a will- there's a way!
MuChoS SmOoChEs!
Michelle

10 comments:

  1. Oh I am so enjoying your December daily! I love posts with a good helping of humor! Did you end up getting that moulding paste to co-operate? I also wanted to know if that type font you have used on your DD is a stamp set or font on your computer? Many thanks and enjoy your outing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your picnic table photo even if it wasn't what you were going for. There is still beautiful golden light on the table and the trees!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, love your book and photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So awesome! I love how the pics are the focus and its so fun but simple with all the little bits I love about your style! So glad you left the link on my blog! I hopped over on my phone yesterday to comment but it was all weird about logging in to comment then I missed coming back on actual computer :)Anyway lol, page for day 2 is awesome!!! LOVE the glitter!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW, I knew you would sit down and create something uber fabulous!!! LOVE the last photo.. it's brilliant!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This mini is tha bomb!! :) I love the color and design.....it makes me super happy, and your photos are always inspiring, they are so interesting. Super great, Michelle!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OK, so why is the door elevated? I have to agree on the cheap fabrics, but someone has to wear them right? Hopefully you will agree black can be of IF you have a pair of really fantastic dorky tights to go along! I mean after all what brunette does not look fabulous in black? But remind me to tell you why I am kicking myself for not listening to my 4yo, but that is a story for another day!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey...this looks way different? Are you turning over a new leaf? Do I need to feel intimidated?

    ReplyDelete
  9. you're so my type of girl! RED!! i hate silver for clothing. what are we? from outerspace? ha!

    ReplyDelete

Ok peeps lets CHAT! You tell me what you REALLY think and I PROMISE to keep it open minded here.